Spring is finally here, and the fruit trees are beginning to bloom. Try this delicious muffin recipe to bring the fragrance of spring into your kitchen. A touch of basil adds a unique freshness to these light, airy and slightly sweet muffins. For this recipe I used the Pruneti extra virgin olive oil from Tuscany to accentuate the citrus flavors of the muffins.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice, at room temperature
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil (Try Pruneti I.G.P. Toscano)
- ¼ cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 large orange, zested/li>
- 1 handful basil
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ½ cup slivered almonds, for topping
- 2 T orange blossom water (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 375 F. Line the muffin tin with paper liners. Chiffonade basil leaves to make 3 T packed.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer on medium speed, beat the sugar and eggs together until pale and beginning to aerate, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the orange juice, orange blossom water, olive oil, yogurt, basil and orange zest. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt. In batches, stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just blended.
- Using a brush, lightly oil the paper liner cups. Fill the cups with batter, 2/3 of the way full. Top with slivered almonds.
- Bake until golden on top, about 20 minutes. Place on a wire rack and cool for 20 minutes. Top with small basil sprigs and serve.