Turkey Sopes w/ Cranberry Pico
Posted by Jesse Rockwell on
Now that Thanksgiving is over, and most of us have a surplus of leftovers to contend with, why not try something a bit more exciting than turkey sandwiches? This traditional Mexican recipe with a Thanksgiving twist puts that cold turkey to good use! Originating from Central Mexico, Sopes are a thicker version of a corn tortilla, and retain all the goodness of fresh corn tortillas, without the hassle of using a tortilla press. We’ll also put a seasonal twist on traditional pico de gallo by using cranberry sauce to add sweetness. For this recipe I used Quattrociocchi pepper infused oil for the light spiciness that Mexican food needs.
For the Sopes (corn tortillas can be substituted):
- 2 C masa harina
- 1 and 1/4 C water (more as needed)
- 1 t salt
- 1 t extra virgin olive oil (Try Quattrociocchi pepper infused oil)
For the Cranberry Pico de Gallo:
- 4 roma tomatoes seeded diced
- 4 T cranberry sauce (sweet is ok)
- 1/2 large onion diced small
- 1 small handful cilantro chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded, diced small
- 3 pieces green onion, green part only, sliced
- juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
For the Toppings:
- 1 lb cooked turkey (white or dark meat) diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 t cumin
- 1 handful iceberg lettuce sliced thin
- 1/2 C Mexican crema, or sour cream
- 1 lime sliced
- Salt to taste
- Optional: if using corn tortillas, wrap in aluminum foil and place in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Then skip to "Add cubed turkey…" below.
- Mix all the ingredients for the pico de gallo well, reserve in fridge.
- Mix the masa harina and water by hand until it form a soft, elastic ball.
- Add oil and salt. Portion into 6-8 small balls and press into 3″ diameter discs about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat a deep pan to medium heat with 1/2 C olive oil. Fry the sopes 2-3 minutes per side until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove and keep warm.
- Add cubed turkey, salt and cumin. Fry until browned evenly, adding oil if meat becomes dry.
- Top each sope (or tortilla) with the turkey, pico de gallo, crema, and chopped lettuce. Serve with slices of lime.
You May Also Like
One of these articlesView More